Thursday, February 15, 2007

I spent my new years eve...

(originally posted 1/1/2007)
I spent my New Years Eve...
So I spent my NYE night alone, registering for baby stuff. Exciting.
Over the past several years, I have had some exciting NYEs... I saw Phish in the Everglades for the omnipotent '99-'00 New Year. Me and 90,000 other psychedelically influenced young adults, wandering a large marshy field listening to 7 hours of nonstop ambient jamrock... or '00-'01 New Year, spent in Atlanta with 25,000 psychedelically influenced young adults at Widespread Panic (hiding under seats on Marta)... You don't even want to know how I rung in '02 (very bad)... I believe I was bartending in'03... '04 is unmentionable and ended with a run in with Okaloosa County's finest (no DUIs for me, thank god)... '05 was kind of tame, and '06 was the single drunkest night of my life. So hooray for '07, toasting caffine free green tea and registering for babyshit. Welcome, Cayce, to motherhood.
Dude, there is so much stuff that you... need (I use the term loosely) for babies that I can't quite wrap my head around it. I have been registering for 4 hours; researching car seats and furniture, feeding pillows and breast pumps. The funniest part is that I am probably going to get a bunch of stuffed animals and weird newborn outfits for my baby showers, instead of what I really need (Boppy Luxe, people!).
And, can you really tell people who are attending your showers "don't buy my kid any clothes (or shoes, especially shoes) with Thomas and the Train or Dora the Explorer on them, okay!" Can you? Because it seems rude. But not as rude as buying the crap in the first place.
I have been guilty of straying from someone's registry before, and buying them an adorable outfit or stupid fuzzy noisemaker. I have been the jerk that buys a piece of annoying junk that you will never use, but will feel guilty to throw away, so you stash it in a closet for a year or two until you don't even notice it's there and you continue to move it from shelf to shelf awaiting the appropriate time for you to sell it for $2 in your mom's garage sale. I have been that guy. But not anymore.
See, now I realize how much crap you actually need (again, loosely) when having a baby. Do you need another blanket? Maybe, but probably not. You need diapers and wipes. You need one of those shopping cart protectors. You need 42,000 plain onesies. You need sheets and bottles and nuk nuks and cloth diapers for cleaning spitup and spilled titmilk. You don't need a giant Elmo!
So just in case you were wondering what I registered for (or better yet, wanted to get me something... haha, shameless!) I am registered at
http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/registry.html/102-4252379-8220136?ie=UTF8&type=baby&id=2QCXWZJOGN4ZC
http://www.target.com/gp/registry/registry.html/ref=cm_lc_sr_1/602-9856965-4099801?ie=UTF8&type=babyreg&id=WH07T8ZAOG7U&jsebd=1
(screw html... i hate it)

No comments: