Thursday, February 15, 2007

Stoup

(originally posted 1/4/2007)
Stoup
The Yummiest.
A few nights ago I made my first recipe from the Rachel Ray Cookbook I received for Christmas (Thanks, hubs!). It was a Broccoli Rabe and Sausage STOUP (soup + stew/2) and it was fekkin' delicious. I just ate some leftover for lunch (it makes quite a bit) and I want to make it again because it was so easy and delicious.
I too had no earthly idea what Broccoli Rabe was: apparently it is a hybrid broccoli and kale thing... a leafy bunch with tiny broccoli "flowers". Whatever it is, it's tasty indeed. It was located near the parsley and kale at Publix.
Here's the recipe: try it if you are into really tasty delicious foods.
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan1 pound Italian bulk sweet sausage (I will use spicy sausage next time I make this) (Spicy is so hot right now)1 medium onion, chopped1 carrot, chopped1 large potato, peeled and chopped into small dice 2 cloves garlic, chopped1 bay leaf1 can white beans, drained Salt and pepper1 bunch chopped broccoli rabe 1 quart chicken stockGrated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Romano(Seriously, how short is this recipe? It's that easy and you can clean up as you go, which makes it a perfect weeknight meal.)
Heat medium soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and sausage and brown. Add veggies, bay leaf and beans. (Add potato first, cook 5 mins and then add other vegs) Season with salt and pepper. Cook mixture 5 minutes to begin to soften the vegetables. Add rabe and wilt. Add stock* and cover pot. Simmer 15 minutes. Adjust seasonings and serve soup with grated cheese, for topping.
*I used low sodium (loso) chicken broth and I had to add a bunch of salt. Go with the full intensity stuff.
So that's it, 'sgood.

No comments: